Notice: Undefined variable: image_url in /home/447167.cloudwaysapps.com/rcmnqmvwae/public_html/wp-content/plugins/free-comments-for-wordpress-vuukle/public/class-free-comments-for-wordpress-vuukle-public.php on line 1021
Notice: Undefined variable: image_height in /home/447167.cloudwaysapps.com/rcmnqmvwae/public_html/wp-content/plugins/free-comments-for-wordpress-vuukle/public/class-free-comments-for-wordpress-vuukle-public.php on line 1022
Notice: Undefined variable: image_width in /home/447167.cloudwaysapps.com/rcmnqmvwae/public_html/wp-content/plugins/free-comments-for-wordpress-vuukle/public/class-free-comments-for-wordpress-vuukle-public.php on line 1023
Garage door torsion springs are one of the most important components of the garage door. On the garage door, there are two springs. The heavy long springs and the other short springs. The heavy springs are attached to the upper part of the door known as the extension springs. The springs that are attached to a metal plate that is fixed and placed above the center of the frame and parallel to the surface of the frame are called the torsion springs.
The torsion springs function on the basic rule of tension. These springs have cables that are attached to each side of the door on the lower panel. When it is time for a garage door spring replacement; due to rust or damage, you can replace them on your own if you know the procedure or have a professional do the job. The latter is advised though.
It is worth mentioning here that performing a spring replacement can be dangerous if proper care is not takes. You can lose your eyes, hands, limbs or even your life. That is why extreme precaution is advised and most people opt for the professionals to do this job.
Precautions to Replacing the Springs
- Before you start the replacement process, release the tension in the old spring.
- Do not try to touch the cable drum.
- Make sure that you never wind off or wind up the spring using a screwdriver.
- Firstly, you should always insert a bar that fits perfectly into the winding core before you touch a setscrew.
- Do not use a box wrench for the setscrew. Keep it simple.
- Keep the bar in the cone while doing spring replacement.
- When the spring is wound never touch the bracket. It is dangerous.
Procedure to Replace the Garage Door Torsion Springs
Following is the procedure to replace the garage door torsion spring replacement:
- Cut the power supply and disconnect the opener’s power cord.
- Remove it from the garage door.
- Some older openers you have to remove a fuse or flip the circuit breaker.
- Make sure that you have the right torsion spring to replace the old one. Check the type and dimensions of the new one to the old spring. Avoid touching the winding cones or grabbing the torsion spring.
- Make sure that you mark each end of the shaft to help level the door after the new spring installation.
- Wind off the unbroken spring and then undo and remove the bolts that are securing the cones to the bracket.
- Replace and reinstall all of the hardware in the right manner. Little mistake will make the door function improperly.
- Make sure that you wind up the replaced spring.
- Check the garage door for level and balance. It should be aligned correctly.
- Use lubrication like machine oil to reduce or minimize the friction.
- Connect the garage door opener and check if it is working perfectly.
This is the whole procedure to follow for the replacement of the garage door torsion springs. However, acquiring the services of a professional can be very helpful and safe.
Browse through https://www.lagarageconversions.com/ for more information about Los Angeles Garage Conversions