Gas is one resource that’s extremely helpful, it isn’t to be messed with. When it comes to anything gas related, it’s always best to call in the professionals.
Gas related systems have a notorious history of being unpredictable in nature. There’s risk of exploding, imploding and gas related asphyxiation should the systems become faulty in any way.
Selecting the right gas fitter is therefore an incredibly important task. We want to help you get it right.
In this guide we will lay out everything you need to know about this profession and just how you can go about finding one capable of doing a great job from the start.
Step 1: It’s important to first define exactly what is meant by the term “gas fitter”. When you’re vetting service providers you must know exactly what you’re looking for
What Are They? Do You Need a Professional?
When you’re looking for a gas fitter Melbourne business listings will give you many options. What should you look for when comparing their services? They’re essentially responsible for
- Installing, altering or repairing of all gas appliances.
- Taking care of any fixing of gas pipes and ventilation or flue pipes.
- Testing, setting, checking and adjusting of safety devices & controls associated with all gas installations. It’s important that all gas related systems have adequate ventilation in the surrounding area, so this is something that they will handle as well.
Because of the combustive nature of gas, these systems need industry professionals to ensure safety for all in the vicinity. This is why it’s always better to seek the services of a gas fitter and never attempt to self install, check or adjust any of the mechanisms involved.
Who Needs One?
You might find it surprising how many scenarios require the professional services of a gas fitter in order for your daily routine to continue safely.
The following is a list of just some of the places that make use of these skilled workmen:
- Residential homes
- Commercial businesses and properties
- Boats and ships
- Caravans and motorhomes
Wherever there’s a gas bottle at play, be it for cooking or for heating, a gas fitter would have attended to the space at some point in time.
Yes, we all need these experts at some stage.
Now for step 2: Understand the risks and why you need a certified service provider.
Because of the dangerous nature of gas and the work that comes with it, gas fitters need to be specially licensed in Australia to conduct this kind of work.
What are the Risks?
As with any chemical compound, there is a number of risks involved when making use of gas and gas related systems.
The most obvious one is the risk of combustion. Due to the highly flammable and sensitive nature of gas, any misuse can lead to some severe consequences. You should never have unattended, open flames out around gas bottles.
Leaving your gas source open unattended will cause the substance to fill the air, putting the individuals who inhabit the space at risk for asphyxiation. This occurs when too much gas is breathed in without a person’s knowledge. It can lead them to him or her becoming very sick or even unconscious.
How to Play it Safe
Safety starts with who you employ because you don’t want any leakages on your premises.
A qualified and skilled gas fitter will have all the relevant certification & licenses before beginning a job. These should be requested by the employer to ensure that the worker is fully able to perform the work.
When looking for a gas fitter for your needs, be sure to ask the following questions:
- Is this gas fitter able to provide all the necessary licenses and documentation to safely proceed with this job?
- What is the nature of the work that you need done and is this individual able to perform it?
- Are you able to provide a safe working space for all involved in the fitting of the gas systems?
- Does this gas fitter come recommended or offer a positive history of customer service?
Benefits—Why Gas is Worth It
The most notable benefit of switching to gas run systems is that they’re far more economically and environmentally friendly. In this day and age, wherever we can cut down electricity usage is a bonus.
The carbon emissions that come with excessive electrical usage are causing more harm than many are aware of. Gas systems reduce the strain placed on electricity suppliers and offer a successful alternative to cooking & heating needs.
Employing the services of a gas fitter is taking the first step to a more environmentally friendly lifestyle.
When installed safely, gas is a really simple and efficient element to work with. It works much faster than electricity can and is much, much cheaper. You will likely only be changing your gas source every month or two, while electricity bills rack up daily.
Some of the most notable benefits of fitted gas include:
- Efficiency and affordability
- Consistent customer service whenever the need arises, as long as you use reputable service providers
- Quality controlled, skilled workmanship that is industry regulated
- Access to gas and gas related systems for ease in daily life
- The peace of mind of being more environmentally friendly
Be sure to track down the best gas fitter you can—Remember that safety depends on the quality of their work. Now you know what to look for.
No (gas) pressure!