When you want to sell your home, then you obviously want as many buyers as possible. That can only happen if your home wows your target demographic. But how do you ensure that buyers will be impressed enough by your home that they will want to make an offer for it? That’s where home staging comes in!
What is Home Staging?
Home staging is arranging the interiors of your home to bring out its best features. If you stage your home correctly, it can make your home look bigger and brighter, cleaner and warmer and much more appealing to buyers.
Staging can be as simple as adding a few final touches to your home – a painting here, a throw rug there. Or, it can be a complete makeover – getting rid of that old, stained couch of yours, replacing the threadbare rug, adding fresh accessories, changing the drapes and so on.
According to home staging professionals, staging is not the same as interior decorating. Rather, it is de-personalizing your home so that other people can imagine themselves living there.
Is Home Staging Expensive?
It really depends on the amount of work that needs to go into making your home buyer-ready. It could cost very little. All you may need to do is give your home a thorough cleaning, and then you could remove personal items to neutralize the living spaces.
But it can also be expensive if your home needs a complete do-up. You may have to paint the entire house, beautify the landscape, add furniture, plants and other décor to make it appealing to your target buyers.
Should I Hire a Home Stager?
This is a tough question. If you are selling your home because you need the money, then do you really have any extra to spare to hire a home stager? However, staging your home well could mean that the price of your home could go up by as much as $10,000!
A good idea would be to talk to your real estate agent about this. Better still, you could try home staging yourself, and if it doesn’t work, then look at hiring a home staging Brisbane professional.
A Few Tips on Home Staging
If you want to stage your home because you want to sell it, then here are a few tips to help you along:
- Take advice from family and friends about what needs to be changed in your home. Remember, it’s your home, so you probably won’t have an unbiased perspective about it.
- Hire storage space so that you can store your personal items safely. You need to declutter and de-personalize your home so that potential buyers can see themselves in that space. But that doesn’t mean you need to get rid of your stuff (unless you want to).
- Expert recommend that you use neutral colors in your home when you are trying to sell it. Bright colors and unusual pieces of furniture or art are highly personal and do not appeal to everyone.
- Ensure that all your appliances are in excellent condition and working properly. Stainless steel appliances are the most attractive.
- You may need to invest in furniture if yours is old or worn out. The good thing is you can hire furniture for a few months till the house is sold. Once again, go for pieces that are simple and neutral. You can brighten the place with colorful cushions if you like.
- Plants make a huge difference in beautifying the house too.
Ensure that you do your research well before you stage your home. It will still mean spending money, so think about what you need to do beforehand.